- Division: Primary, Junior, Intermediate
- Subject: The Arts, Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Science
- Additional: Character Education
- Includes a full unit plan (3 part lesson plans)
- Includes Learning Goals and Objectives
- Think, Pair, Share Activities
- Checkbricks for Assessments
- Integration of cross curricular connections
- Text-to-text, text-to-self, text-to-world based questions and connections
The current unit, developed in the fall of 2008, has been developed and written in a way that allows for teachers from any province to use the ideas. The inclusion of media literacy is a new feature of this current unit in order to reflect the emergent definition of literacy and literacy instruction. It is an integrated unit with curriculum connections to Language Arts, Music, Drama, Art, Dance, Mathematics, Social Studies and Character Education. The learning engagements presented in the unit are not linked to specific expectations within a specific Provincial curriculum, but rather, identify broader learning outcomes that exist within a wide number of Provincial curricula. Each learning engagement is designed to stand alone so that teachers can select the ones they wish to use with their class. It is not a requirement to complete all of the learning engagements nor do the learning engagements need to be done in the order that they are presented in the unit.
Karen shares her experience developing the unit and the importance of homelessness education in the classroom. Click here to watch the interview.